Is Weetabix (Weet-bix) Really Healthy?

7 February 2024|General Discussion

 Weetabix was first launched in August 1932 and despite the cereals of the time being full of sugars and flavors,  Weetabix slowly gained more popularity in the UK. In this article, we will examine why Weetabix is probably one of the best and most healthy breakfast cereal options.

Weetabix Original
 Weetabix Original

Weetabix is characterized by low sugar and fats, it however lacks enough proteins which is okay since it is served with protein-rich milk or yoghurt, optionally with fruit on the side to make it all a balanced diet.

There are many variations of Weetabix currently including flavored options with chocolate, banana, vanilla, and strawberry, (these have significantly more sugar and calories); but for this post, we will be fixated on the original  Weetabix.

Weetabix Ingredients

Weetabix Ingredients & Nutritional Information
 Weetabix Ingredients & Nutritional Information

The name kind of gives it away, yes over 95% of Weetabix ingredients are wholegrain wheat. The other 5% is made up of;

  •  Malted Barley Extract,( a sweetener),
  •  Sugar, 
  •  Salt,
  •  Niacin,
  •  Iron,
  •  Thiamin(B1),
  •  Riboflavin(B2),
  •  Folic Acid.

Allergy Advice. For allergens, including cereals containing gluten; (wheat and barley)

Weetabix Nutritional Information

Weetabix GDA
Weetabix GDA

Weetabix is generally low in sugar, fats, sodium, and saturated fats while being high in fiber, adding milk increases protein, and adding fruit adds vitamins making it all a balanced diet. You can throw in some nuts to add minerals too.

The recommended serving of two biscuits has 127 calories by itself; adding 150ml milk totals around 200 calories with a resultant product having; 12g protein, 33g carbs including 13g sugar.

The guideline for breakfast is to consume 300 to 500 calories, making  Weetabix a good breakfast option in keeping those numbers low.

Is Weetabix Really Healthy?

Weetabix Kenya

If you were concerned that  Weetabix may not be healthy since it is another boxed food in the supermarket aisle, it is important to note that;  processed≠bad.

Weetabix is processed yes, but not heavily like other breakfast cereals, it is just simple and maintains most of the wholegrain goodness.

The more processed options the more sugars to cover for the processed taste. As far as cereals go, Weetabix is one of the better options. 

While being wholegrain, Weetabix is not as healthy as oats, grainy breads, or porridge, it has a slightly higher Glycemic Index, meaning it is digested quicker due to processing.

Also, wheat and sugar have 26 g carbs per serving and only 3.8 g fiber; this is a very low ratio of fiber compared to other organic wholegrain foods mentioned above.

Again,  Weetabix is not entirely healthy on its own, it relies on add-ons; milk, fruit, and nuts to make it a perfect balanced diet.

Unlike other foods that use high fructose corn syrup,  Weetabix is sweetened with malted barley extract with lower sugar and lower calories, additional sugar is little( only 4.4g) in 100g of Weetabix.

Their flavored versions also have satisfactory composition but contain twice the amount of sugar.

Weetabix good for weight loss?

Weetabix can be a part of a weight loss diet, but whether it specifically aids in weight loss depends on various factors such as your overall diet, calorie intake, and lifestyle. Here are some reasons why   Weetabix might be considered beneficial for weight loss:

  1. High in Fiber: Weetabix is typically high in fiber, which can help you feel fuller for longer periods. This can potentially reduce overall calorie intake by decreasing hunger and preventing overeating.
  2. Low in Calories Weetabix is relatively low in calories compared to some other breakfast options, especially if you eat it with low-fat milk or yogurt and add fresh fruit instead of high-calorie toppings.
  3. Nutrient-Rich: Weetabix contains essential vitamins and minerals, which can support overall health and well-being while you’re on a weight loss journey. These nutrients are important for maintaining energy levels and ensuring your body functions optimally.
  4. Portion Control Weetabix typically comes in portioned servings, which can help with portion control and prevent overeating.

Overall, weight loss ultimately comes down to maintaining a calorie deficit – consuming fewer calories than your body expends.


Ascend your Avocado Toast Toppings Skills

The Correct Way to Cook Indomie Mi Goreng 

Fall-Off-The Bone Oxtail Recipe(Cow’s Tail)

Site Navigation

Is this content useful? Of course, it is!

Consider checking out more of my articles from the following categories:

Grocery Items Guides & Reviews

Appliance Reviews

Nairobi Restaurant Reviews

Snacks, Fast Foods & Street Food

African Recipes

Global Recipes

Beverage & Drink

Leave a Reply